Monday, February 4, 2013

Goodbye, Penny

Monday February 4, 3:57 p.m.

I've noticed that someone has been looking at my March 30 article (under the same Labels) for the retirement of the Canadian Penny. Wow! I didn't realize it's been almost a year since the government made the momentous announcement about the enforced disappearance of the copper coin. Well, the day has arrived. From today, the 1-cent coin is officially done (1908-2013).

Since I've been pretty good about paying exact change for just about everything for the past several years, I haven't had too much in the way of loose change, so this morning, when I checked, I only had four pennies left in my coin cup. So, they have now been put into the desk drawer for posterity. Basically, when we Canucks head off to the stores, the new rule is that the price will be rounded up or down, and that the lowest coin to be accepted is the nickel. But that all depends on the customer/cashier. If the customer puts up a fight about it, I think the cashier will most likely take pennies still.

Strangely enough, though, the 1-yen coin is still very much in circulation, despite the fact that it feels lighter than a TTC token and seems to be made by very malleable aluminium. And 1 yen certainly doesn't buy anything at all. Maybe it might be time for PM Abe to start thinking about that for his Abenomics plan.