Thursday, January 31, 2013

Topsy-Turvy Temperatures of Toronto

Wednesday Jan 30 at +14 C
Thursday January 31, 4:47 p.m.

Gotta say that the picture on the left doesn't really do the weather yesterday justice. But after last week's deep freeze where the average temperature was hovering around -12 C, to experience a temp that was 26 degrees higher was almost overwhelmingly giddy. Toronto weather has always been a bit on the weird side no matter what time of the year, but even yesterday was cause for Torontonians to scratch their heads....or just walk to work in T-shirts and shorts. Taking a walk around the neighbourhood meant that the only obstacle was mud and not ice.


Thursday Jan 31 at -3 C
Then, this morning when I went outside, I was buffeted by some high winds and some major flurries....and a temperature of -3 C! Talk about getting the runaround. I wouldn't have believed that there were less than 24 hours between the two pictures if I hadn't actually experienced the two scenes.

Of course, all this extreme weather has meant consequences on the city's aging infrastructure. Water pipes burst and giant sinkholes emerged out of nowhere. And Toronto City Hall is trying to figure out where to get the funds to do all this repair.




Well, in any case, I'm feeling a bit antsy since I handed in the big translation project last night, and have got not all that much to do right now. Mind you, I do have that small financial statement translation to hand in for Cozy, but I got the basic translation done this morning. I just have to ask him a few questions on some vocab, and I should be OK to give the final draft.