Saturday, April 7, 2012

The One That Got Away

Saturday April 7, 4:09 p.m.

Back on Monday, I had a chance to walk through the trendifying area of King West downtown for a few hours. And seeing that there was a fish n' chips place, I decided on that as my lunch venue. Back in Japan, although I knew that Tokyo was a fine place for foodies, fish n' chips was still a work in progress over there. Not quite the stuff I knew and loved as a lifelong Torontonian. So, I went inside "The One That Got Away".

I got there a bit on the early side. I mean, the place opens at 11, but even getting there at 11:20, I was the only one there for a good 30 minutes before the lunch crowd finally came in. I ordered up the Haddock N' Chips. Good batter/fish ratio with creamy tartar sauce. And the fries were just like the fries I used to know in that fish n' chip place in my old neighbourhood of St. James Town. Although I had the ketchup and lemon there, I swiped a bottle of vinegar from the front windowsill to complete the dish.
It was a glorious day on Monday. As the place was empty during that time, I felt it had that Sunday morning cafe feel to it. Of course, a half-hour after this picture was taken, the place got filled up pretty quickly.

The Haddock N' Chips cost just under $9, so I'm kinda considering getting the Seafood Plate next time I'm there. Thinking of bringing fellow foodie Shard with me.