Thursday, May 17, 2012

Donna Summer (1948-2012)

courtesy of Bart & Co.
of Flickr
Thursday May 17, 1:27 p.m.

Heard within the hour of Donna Summer's passing. I had no idea that she had been the least bit sick, but apparently she had been suffering from cancer.

I was not a die-hard fan of hers but I enjoyed a number of her songs: "Hot Stuff", "She Works Hard for the Money", her version of "MacArthur's Park", etc.. She evoked the memories of the first years of my interest in music as a kid.back in the late 70s and early 80s. And of course, "Last Dance"was often the go-to song for the last dance at any school dance party.

Not sure if people in Japan will agree with me, but I think a lot of the J-R&B divas should give tribute to Summer....singers like Misia, Yuki Koyanagi and Kumi Koda. I've heard a lot of her influence in their voices. Koyanagi, especially, has covered "Hot Stuff"and "MacArthur's Park"on one of her albums. And for a while, the former song was getting lots of airplay via a popular commercial over there.