Monday, June 25, 2012

Another Gig?

Monday June 25, 8:37 p.m.

Back on Friday, I took the bus down to Vic Park Station and then walked a bit south of the main street of Danforth Ave. to meet someone at the 2nd floor balcony of the Loblaws Superstore at about 2 p.m. Apparently an old friend of mine in Japan who I helped translate a rental agreement a few years ago decided to repay the favour by recommending me to another friend of his who is operating a small translation firm right here in Toronto.

The fellow was a pretty amiable fellow: kinda reminded me of a mix between Bill Murray and Bill Pullman. Before our meeting, we'd a few exchanges via e-mail. I wasn't too sure about whether I was capable enough to do professional translating, but he reassured me that I probably have the chops for it. But he made it quite clear to me that speed AND accuracy will be needed.

I did a test of sorts for him via a file containing five different short passages from different categories for me to translate into English from Japanese. So I spent a few hours on that on Saturday night...not too bad, but I do hope that I don't get a request to translate patent claims on chemical processes anytime soon.

I've been doing my fair share of substitute teaching lately but it's also nice to have another thing on the side.