Friday, June 15, 2012

Downtown Part 2

Friday June 15, 8:06 p.m.

Continuing on my little recce of downtown Toronto, I went up Spadina from Queen West. Chinatown hasn't changed all that much in the last 20 years; those two big somewhat superfluous centres are still there. In all the many times, I've visited the two places, they've never been all that busy and there are always several empty spaces inside.







In the Dragon City lobby, there were a number of folks watching Euro 2012 there, too. Just when I thought that the Chinese were getting really keen into soccer, I saw the sign on the door promoting the daily raffle prize for whoever picks the winning teams of the day.

Ah.....







Just like any popular ramen joint in Japan...
I'd been planning just to walk up Spadina to College when I decided to make a detour onto Baldwin St. Egg had told me that he and the missus had gone to Toronto's newest and currently hottest ramen restaurant, Kinton on Baldwin. It had opened just a few weeks ago, but it looks like word-of-mouth has spread like wildfire. I had almost forgotten about that cluster of restaurants just to the east of Huron and Baldwin, and Kinton is right in the thick of it. I saw a couple looking for something as I was approaching the cluster; I knew they must've been looking for ramen. And sure enough, hubby is right there at the back of the line. This week's NOW Magazine reviewed the place, and it got top marks. The cat's out of the bag now. It reminds me whenever a hot new ramen joint is discovered in Tokyo. Expect 1-hour lineups. But I'll make it there someday. I'll talk to Jim and The Anime King about it this weekend.