Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Cosmic Barber

Thursday February 23, 11:05 p.m.

I only put this in Humdrum, since I treat it like anyone else's Miscellaneous. But I'll have to confess to all of you that I'm a fan of massage videos on YouTube. Now, that I'm back in Toronto, it's even more difficult to find a masseur that won't charge an arm and a leg...and I simply can't even afford a finger right now. Plus barbers over here don't have the custom of rubbing scalps and shoulders.

So I see vicariously by watching various massage videos on YouTube. And this is the star: Baba The Cosmic Barber of Pushkar, India. This original video was put up almost 4 years ago, and since then a few more have gone up, and he's even earned himself a Facebook tribute page. When I first viewed this video, I thought the guy was a royal nutjob with his WHOOOSHING noises as he tried to bring down the spirits to infuse into this fellow's scalp as he gave it a good rubbing down. But the customer apparently doesn't mind, and it looks like Baba gives a mighty fine massage. I would love to head down and get one of his spiritual jobs (just hope he sucks on Tic Tacs before he does his stuff), but I'm not a good traveler at all, and I don't think India is for novices. So, I'll just be happy with his appearances on the Net. Maybe he can get on Letterman someday.