Sunday, February 26, 2012

Daytona and Oscar....No, Not a New FOX Sitcom

courtesy of Mark Vidreiro


courtesy of Cinesystem



Sunday February 26, 5:20 p.m.

It was a great day for NASCAR-loving movie buffs....or it would've been if the Daytona 500 hadn't been cancelled...yep, for the first time in its history, I got to see a bunch of well-suited ex-drivers have a televised reunion for over 4 hours; the only thing missing was 4 tumblers of Jack Daniels and ice. A pity...I haven't seen this race in a couple of decades due to my odyssey that was Japan. Remember that Tokyo is 14 hours ahead of the East Coast...any American races would be taking place in the middle of the night in Asia. Still, it's been re-scheduled for tomorrow at noon, and since I'm currently unemployed, I will have the opportunity to still catch it. But I have to say that today was the longest pre-show coverage I'd ever seen; even the Super Bowl pre-show coverage wasn't that long.

Still, unless an Al Qaeda attack takes place, the Oscars will go on ahead as scheduled. There's another long pre-show sequence in store there. Again, I never got to see the Oscars since it's Monday morning in Japan, and at the time I actually did get to work regularly. And what good timing. Billy Crystal will be back as the host....it may be the first time that the remaining 3 hours and 40 minutes of the ceremony may be upstaged by his 5-minute opening. Not really sure if a Whitney Houston tribute is warranted there, though. After all, she was a singer first and actress far second.