Friday, August 3, 2012

My Kingdom for a Barber

Friday August 3, 10:58 p.m.

Went to my corner barber for that $8 trim. The guy got it done in less than 10 minutes. Still, after having gone there 4 times since my return back to Canada, I'm now wondering if I should opt for something a bit more expensive, a bit more farther away, but with a bit more class. I went into the shop and just saw one....barber....just splayed all over the waiting area chairs like my Dad on the sofa on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Didn't look one bit sheepish either. For $8, I don't expect   Royal service but man, that just wasn't right. I didn't understand the language they were speaking, but the splayed girl probably said to the guy who ended up with my cut, "Hey, it's your turn!"

I didn't get particularly nostalgic for my trips to the barber during my long years in Japan, but I have to say that the service was absolutely top-notch. Despite paying the yen equivalent of $50 each time, I got a great cut, shampoo (twice), head and neck massage, coffee/tea (hot/cold depending on the season) and some good conversation. I actually looked forward to my bi-monthly tonsorials despite the certainty of a lighter wallet. I haven't had the same feelings with my current shop.


Here is a 40-minute video of a visit to a Japanese barber. The barber does everything but the head and shoulder massage which was a bit of a surprise to me.

And this is an excerpt of one other visit to a barber during the scalp-and-shoulder rubdown.

Enjoy!