Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Solitary Tuesday

Tuesday August 7, 10:38 p.m.

After the long Simcoe Day long weekend. I've had my first day of solitude. The parents are out with their buddies in Las Vegas for the next few days. It's kinda nice living alone again even if it's just until Thursday. However, my mother....being Mom....ensured that I would be kept well-fed without me having to lift a finger. She stuffed so much food in the form of TV dinners and other fare in the freezer and fridge, it almost looks like she was prepping me for hibernation.

But in a way, I was kinda hibernating since I basically cocooned all day. Didn't leave the apartment at all, except for getting the mail. I got my first cheque from my translation gig. Not too bad at all. Strangely enough, my boss there contacted me for the first time in 2 weeks asking me to do an editing job tomorrow for a few hours. And I discovered a call on the message machine from the school asking if I could warp down there today to teach a class....on less than 2 hours notice. Mind you, the staffer called at about 11 a.m. For some reason, I never heard the call despite the fact that I was only in my bedroom at that time....only discovered the message past 1 p.m. In any case, my policy is to never accept on-the-day classes in any case. In terms of planning and execution, it's just asking for trouble...at least for me.

Canada seems to be having all sorts of bad luck at the Olympics. The Canadian Women's Soccer Team lost out of getting into the Finals due to some controversial calls, a Canadian boxer was eliminated from the quarter-finals due to some strange judging decisions, and Simon Whitfield literally fell out of the Triathlon from a crash while he was making the switch from swimming to cycling. Not sure if The Great White North peeved off some higher deity.

However the good news is that Nadeshiko Japan, that nation's women's soccer team will be playing for Gold against the US on Thursday. I can only imagine that there will be a lot of bleary-eyed folks in The Land of the Rising Sun staying up or waking up in the wee hours to catch this one. But as far as I'm concerned, the darlings of Japanese sports have already accomplished the mission that they are now recognized as a force to not be contended with lightly. Gold or Silver, Nadeshiko has already won.