Thursday, January 26, 2012

Clean Up and Plan

Thursday January 26, 8:08 p.m.

After yesterday's odyssey downtown, it was nice to keep things inside at home. Just wore my loungewear all day, and did the long-needed cleanout of my bedroom. I've had it back for nearly 6 weeks now, and with all of the parcels and CDs strewn all over the floor and on top of the bed, it was about time that I got at it before the parents got at me. The pathetic thing is that all of the above has been written by a 46-year-old, not a 16-year-old.

Anyways, those discs you see are just a fraction of what I had to rearrange and place on my shelves, and that fraction is a mere fraction of what will be arriving sometime in the next two weeks. in 11 parcels courtesy of Nippon Express. Maybe my parents will still have at me after all.

The other big thing today was doing some preliminary planning for this talk I will give on the 5th at Sam's church on my 17 years in Japan. So far, about 10 people have said that they will attend; they either want to hear about travel experiences or they are interested in working in Japan...most likely, teaching English. Still, I don't want to make my 90 minutes into a job seminar...just want to let them know how I lived there. I'm sure the earthquake may be one big topic. I actually did a bit of research on the radiation levels in the Kanto region, thinking that some of the attendees may ask the question, "Is it safe to go there?" And I came across this Facebook community called "Tokyo Radiation Levels"which has an updated map of Japan showing what the current hourly radiation levels are throughout the country. If the figures are accurate, then Tokyo may end up having a total average even less than that of the USA. Still, plenty "hot"in Fukushima, though.