Saturday, January 21, 2012

Shinobu aftermath

Saturday January 21, 10:37 p.m.

Dined at Shinobu tonight with my friends up at Yonge-Lawrence. The experience was alright but not as sparkling as I'd hoped it would be. For one thing, I think the service was a bit green. We had a young waitress who still seemed to be grasping the English language...there were a few moments of her nodding her head rather blankly. As a result, there was a mixup in one dish which slightly irked my dinner companions, especially since they had a couple of kids along acting up a bit. Felt a bit sorry for the waitress but I kinda figured that she was paying her dues. In retrospect, I think I should've done a bit of interpretation but had thought at the time that she understood enough. I had the sushi platter which was good, especially the smooth-as-silk salmon. And the recommended deep-fried chicken skin was delish, if not necessarily heart-smart. Just needed a bit more salt.

Shinobu is a small place. Maybe 15 seats at most. Reservations are a must. If the service had been a bit more poised, it would've gotten an extra star from me.