Thursday, January 19, 2012

Massive Dim Sum

Thursday January 19, 11:34 p.m.

A few hours ago, an old friend I hadn't heard from in several years (read: 20) contacted me via Facebook to invite me to a dim sum reunion this coming Sunday in downtown Chinatown. Ironically, this outing is all about someone I met back in Tokyo just a little over a month ago for one final lunch before my exodus back to The Great White North.

In fact, I just finished chatting with Reza via FB. He's saying that there will be anywhere between 20 and 30 people showing up. That will be one massive dim sum outing! Not sure how that will be pulled off. Especially since this weekend is Chinese New Year. If there's one thing that Toronto has over Tokyo, it's dim sum. Yum cha, as it's called over there, is quite a bit more expensive and the setup is basically a course meal in which around only 6 steamers are provided. There would be a revolt in any Chinese restaurant that had that policy!

This will be my first foray into a Chinese restaurant in Old Chinatown in some years. Recently, it's all been about heading to the suburbs for dim sum since the newer suburban Chinatowns supposedly have the better eateries now. Whatever...it's all good for me.