Monday, January 9, 2012

The Prodigal Son

Monday January 9, 10:20 p.m.

Kinda feel like Dr. Frasier Crane after jumping from "Cheers" to his own show in Seattle. Lived 17 years, 1 month and 11 days in the bedroom town of Ichikawa, Chiba Prefecture (sorry, all you cyberpunk fans...no flesh vats or jacked-up Neo wannabes there). In fact, the picture on the right is of my old neighbourhood. I lived in Room 301 of the white apartment, Maison Asami, for virtually the entire time that I have just listed above. It was a safe, quiet and very convenient area for me...except for the fact that a psychopath had killed a British English teacher in an apartment a few blocks away some years ago. But hey, property values didn't change one whit.

I also had a blog about my experiences via Blogger which I will be finishing up with one more entry before I steer any remaining readers (thank you, all six of you in Russia and America....glad I can help out with East-West diplomacy) over here...you can check out the 8 years of Ä Canuck in Emperor Akihito's Court"...find out what was happening with my long career as a journeyman English conversation teacher in the world's largest city.

As for this new sequel blog? Not sure if I'm doing this more for educating anyone out there about my new life back in Toronto or about my previous life in Japan than it is for me to just alleviate stress through typing. But perhaps I can help the following 3 categories of people: 1) anyone who is going over to Japan as a Tokyo tourist, a teacher or foodie; 2) any "Flashpoint" fans who want to know what Toronto is really like beyond the SRU; and 3) folks who have a very large amount of time on their hands.

I am also planning to create a sister blog, either here or via WordExpress, on my love of Japanese popular music...but more on that later. Anyways, that's my first entry for now. I will give my thoughts on the past month that I've been back in The Great White North.