Thursday, September 27, 2012

Why Didn't I Retire?

Thursday September 27, 10:09 p.m.

Had my first day of three of subbing for a teacher. When I met her yesterday to get briefed, I found her to be the most well-organized educator I'd come across at the school....which was actually a bit of a disadvantage for me since I wasn't sure whether the students would take to my approach and also because I felt obliged to follow her style to the letter, despite her assurances that I could do whatever I wanted. As it turned out, the morning class started out well but started descending into a morass by the end....because I was trying to fulfill the scheduled her way. Luckily, the afternoon class was a bit better. Still, I feel like Ricky Romero trying to get out of his annus horribilis. I'm gonna have to wonder if I'm gonna have much of an attendance tomorrow morning.

For a teacher, the expression "You can't please everyone"takes on a heavier meaning. I've known that almost ever since I became one. But as I get older, it's getting harder to take that sort of truth anymore. I've been a sub at the school now for almost 8 months, and again thoughts are rising about whether it's time to move on from teaching. Just doesn't seem to be all that fun anymore.