Friday, July 27, 2012

The Olympics are OFFICIALLY on!

Friday July 27, 9:11 p.m.

Had my morning class at the school. It was fairly easy...I was more host than teacher since all I was required to was to show a DVD to the class. It was "Far and Away" from about 20 years ago. We all had a small laugh when I pointed out that it starred Tom Cruise and one of his ex-wives.

Came home to see the Opening Ceremonies of the London Olympics. Welllll.....I appreciate the fact that Danny Boyle was able to create this spectacle on a supposedly limited budget. Perhaps I'm getting grumpier as I slide into upper middle age, but man, even for an Opening Ceremonies, they were pretty darn flat for some reason. The celeb speakers such as Kenneth Branagh and J.K. Rowling didn't exactly have me standing up and applauding, and what were some pretty good "Wow!"moments....such as the Queen AND James Bond, and the appearance of Mr. Bean....just got overly milked for the laughs. In a way, I was glad that the sole Doctor Who moment was restricted to a few seconds of TARDIS engines....could only imagine what Boyle could have done to David Tennant or Matt Smith. And yep, I admit that I'm getting downright Scrooge-ish when I say that I could do without the massive performance art although I know that it is perhaps better than having to sit through the entire Parade of Athletes. And the lighting of the Flame was strangely anti-climactic.

Well, the Opening Ceremonies were off but the Olympics are on!