Friday, March 2, 2012

Lemon Meringue Pie

Friday March 2, 4:14 p.m.

Getting re-acquainted with Lemon Meringue Pie once again after several years. I believe that the famed American dessert is getting its due in certain restaurants in Tokyo, but I don't recall ever crossing forks with it. I'm pretty sure that it is sold at Anna Miller's....the dessert emporium that has branches in Shinagawa and Odaiba, at least. However, whenever I went there, I always ordered Crumble Top Apple Pie since that is my go-to whenever it comes to pies.

I've always found Lemon Meringue Pie to be an interesting combination. The gelatinous lemon filling underneath sweetened whipped-up egg whites. Not sure whose invention it was. But then, I've also wondered the same thing about Boston Cream Pie...which is really a cake.

But when it comes to favorite Western-style desserts, it looks like Strawberry Shortcake is the won to beat in Japan. Any place that serves dessert of any sort has this American classic in the display case. The size is the one difference, though. I remember my first visit to Cozy Corner, a famous restaurant chain in Japan. At the Ginza branch,  I ordered Strawberry Shortcake, and when the waitress came with the dish and set it down in front of me, my first reaction was wondering whether I should eat it or inhale it.