Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Mawaru Penguindrum The Finale

Wednesday March 21, 2:09 p.m.

Yup, my second post on this mindfxxk of an anime. Caught the last two episodes of the serial this morning. The Anime King told me that he got rather teary-eyed at the finale, but my brain was just trying too hard to reconcile the real with the surreal to get emotional about it.

Not that I didn't enjoy it. It was a good deep gash above most of the usual anime that gets shown on Sunday mornings in Japan, which is probably why it got shown late at night. As I may have mentioned in my other entry on "Mawaru Penguindrum", it's got some pretty suggestive scenes thrown in with the comedy. And a heavy dollop of the metaphysical. The progression of the serial was like any other anime series in that the first several episodes are largely done for comic effect with some teasers about the dramatic arc to follow. Then, things get progressively darker as we go into the last half before a barnburner of a cathartic finale. But MP has the difference in that anyone who has seen it will not only have enjoyed it but will be scratching their noggins for a long time to come. I read a few of the forums on MP, and they echoed my sentiments. I still have a number of questions, Number 1 being "Did the universe re-correct itself when the curse was broken, or was a new timeline born?"

Some folks had been hoping that the serial would continue or a sequel could be made...always a good sign of a show....finish things while leaving your audience wanting more. But I think MP finished where it should have.

Seizon Senryaku indeed. I just hope Hollywood never gets its hands on it.