Thursday, March 1, 2012

Davy Jones (1946-2012)

courtesy of Hidelee81 of Flickr
Thursday March 1, 8:19 p.m.

Yesterday while I was with Shard, his cell got a message and then he showed it to me: Davy Jones of the Monkees passes away at 66.

Another touchstone of my childhood gone.

Many was a Saturday that I got home from Japanese Language School and saw "The Monkees" show with that theme song "Hey, hey, we're the Monkees!"and the slightly Pythonesque antics and the musical interludes of "Last Train to Clarksville"and "Daydream Believer".

Davy was, of course, the cute little heartthrob of the quartet. Mind you, everybody was cute: Michael Nesmith was the cute silent one with the toque, Peter Tork was the cute naive one, and Mickey Dolenz was the cute schemer. However, Davy was the one that all the girls went for. "Star Trek"did something similar in its second season...they brought in Ensign Chekov.

Davy also had his fans in Japan, too. I remember him showing up on some sort of variety show one day. He looked rather amused and bemused...a very common reaction for Western celebs when they appear on Japanese shows. They soon find out that the manufactured inanity in their projects can be all too real when they go over there.

Anyways, I'll wear my Nehru jacket in honor of him.